Reviews Print Correction Save

Social Services for Adults

Social Services for Adults  logo

If you are having difficulty coping with your daily activities at home, you can get in touch with your local authority social services department or your family doctor (GP) to see if they can give you some advice or support. 

There are a wide range of support services that can be provided to help you stay in your own home and also to assist your carer if you have one. Services include home carers and personal assistants, meals delivered at home, day-centre attendance and respite care. Other forms of assistance include the provision of equipment, adaptations to your home, community alarms and assistive technology. Some of these services have to be provided free of charge others can be charged for via a means test.

The local authority must carry out an assessment of your needs if you appear to be someone who might need the type of assistance it can provide, this is referred to as FACS (Fair access to care services). They have to consider your eligibility for an assessment and then assess your needs without regard to your financial circumstances.

If the local authority’s needs assessment identifies needs that meet their eligibility criteria then they must meet these needs. They should be agreed with you and documented on your care plan. They can also carry out a means test to see if you will need to contribute to the cost of service provision.

Bernard Weatherill House, 8 Mint Walk, Croydon, Surrey, CR0 1EA
Umbrella org:
L B Croydon
Area serviced:
Contact name:
Adult Social Services
Job title:
Referral Team
020 8726 6500
Disabled access:
All offices have disabled access

Related Information

Related Factsheets

Service Definitions

Home Care services offer practical help and support to people at home with essential daily tasks they are unable to manage safely for themselves.